Summer Courses at University of San Diego
We welcome groups of students accompanied by one or more Group Leaders and individual students aged 13 – 17. The courses combine English language tuition, general or specialist classes, events, local visits and excursions to places of interest.
Students have morning English classes from 09:00 – 12:30, afternoon and evening activities and local visits with full-day excursions on the weekends.
All students are tested on their first full day and subsequently placed in classes of no more than 10 students at an appropriate level for their ability. The lessons are topic-based and are designed to help students develop communication skills, natural English and a range of vocabulary. Materials have been specifically developed for these courses and include authentic resources.
In addition to the English language classes, students also attend 2 cultural workshops per week from 13:30 – 15:00, which cover topics specific to life in the USA. The campus sports’ facilities are excellent and students are encouraged to play soccer, tennis, volleyball, basketball and to go swimming in the 50m outdoor heated pool.
A local visit is organised on most afternoons to some of the most interesting and entertaining places and areas in San Diego, e.g. Coronado Island, Pacific Beach, Balboa Park & Museums, San Diego Zoo, Mission Bay, Downtown, Seaport Village, Fashion Valley, La Jolla, Petco Park (home of the Padres baseball team).
Some of the local visits extend in to the evening and include dinner out; on other evenings students dine on campus and enjoy a variety of different actiities e.g. disco, movie night, talent show, dance night, magic show, sports tournaments.
Students will visit the Aquatica Water Park and Los Angeles during their stay. A special 3-day/2-night “Discover LA” weekend will be organised at the end of July and includes a visit to Disneyland (see Course Programme for details).
Great emphasis is placed on looking after the students at all times and in all aspects of their stay. USD staff are accommodated on campus to assist Group Leaders in looking after their students. Individual students are accommodated together in the same residence under the careful supervision of the USD pastoral team.
What is included?
- Student travel and medical insurance *
- Residential accommodation in twin study-bedrooms
- Meal card and vouchers for 3 meals per day
- English language tuition or College Preparation
- Cultural workshops
- Afternoon and evening programme of field-trips and activities
- 24-hour supervision and welfare
* included in the course fees for individual students only
- Airport transfers from/to San Diego (SAN) airport = $80 per person per transfer
Airport transfers from/to Los Angeles (LAX) airport = $325 per person per transfer
- Unaccompanied Minor Service = $150 per person per transfer
- Courier fee if original documents are required to support a USA Visa application = $100
All of these options can be specified when completing the registration form.
Vacation Courses at University of San Diego (USD) combine 17 hours per week of English language tuition with 3 hours of cultural workshops, sports, activities, events, local visits and excursions. These courses are for international students aged 13–17 who are visiting the USA for a short period of 2–4 weeks. We welcome * groups of students accompanied by a Group Leader and individual students.
All students are tested on their first full day and subsequently
• practice and refine their English language skills
• engage in Cultural Workshops that will provide students with more insight into American Culture and further reinforce their English skills
• become more confident, focused and prepared for high school or college life
• gain an edge for future academic success
* Groups are arranged by specialist agents. If you are an agent or wish to be referred to a local agent then please contact us
|Price||$ 1843 per week|
|Age range||13 – 17|
|English tuition||17 hrs per week|
|Cultural workshops||3 hrs per week|
|Course dates||1st July – 12th August|
|Course duration||2, 3 or 4 weeks|
|Special features||Discover San Diego and Los Angeles|
Note: timetables vary depending on group / individual student